I promise you really won’t die – but you may think you will because this dip is that good.
So here’s the skinny on my friend Coco’s award winning “Eat Shit and Die Guac,” (she actually entitled it “I just broke up with my boyfriend, please send me to the beach guacamole,” years ago and won a trip to the beach. Thank God for ex-boyfriends. She’s just nicer about her wording than I am about past loves, hence the guac’s new moniker).
· 6 ripe avocados (soft to the touch)
· juice from 2-3 limes (I substituted with lime juice because I’m cheap and easy)
· 1 large tomato, seeds and pulp removed, diced
· 1 serrano chili, minced (I didn’t know what this kind of pepper was exactly, but it was labeled at the grocery. Phew)
· 1/2 a red onion, minced
· 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
· 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (or regular salt)
· a few turns of freshly ground black pepper
· 1/2 teaspoon cumin (Coco says this is the secret weapon)
This yields about four cups. Plenty for a small crowd to snack on.
This gluten-free dip will cost you about $11 including tortilla chips (if you get the $2 bag). The avocados will be the priciest portion (I paid $1.20 each) but well worth the outcome. I secretly thanked Coco’s ex-boyfriend every time my overloaded chip hit my lips. And you will too.