Looking to wow the pants off your Valentine while not feeling like a beached whale?
Avoid the bloated feeling that accompanies over consumption of traditional pasta by substituting noodles with spaghetti squash. Yes, I said substitute pasta with a vegetable.
I thought this was a ridiculous idea until I tried it (as I was looking for ways to keep my skinny jeans buttoned) and realized that I could do without the over processed ingredient .
Here’s what you’ll need:
- One Spaghetti squash – I had to ask where the hell they were located at my grocery
- Choice of meat (if desired)
- Your favorite Italian sauce (I use canned – but low sodium!)
- Choice of cheese (if your heart beats for dairy like mine does.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Microwave the squash for about a minute. This will make it loads easier to cut and save your hand strength for opening that tightly sealed jar of sauce (that I have to ask the grocery clerk to open for me before I leave the damn store because I have zero hand strength).
- Cut the substitution spaghetti lengthwise.
- Once cut, scoop the seeds out of the middle .
- Once seeds have been removed, place halves on a cooking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of your gourd.
- Cool for a few minutes and use a fork to create noodles.
- Place your ‘spaghetti noodles’ in a bowl.
- While your sketti is baking start on the non-strenuous sauce by pouring it in a pan and adding your choice of veggies and/or meats.
- Mix sauce and cooked meat, bring to a boil.
Once complete, serve immediately with or without cheese.
This cheesy version of sexy spaghetti will cost $10 (more or less depending on the meat), is gluten-free and has about 260 calories, 20 carbs and 11 grams of sugar overall per serving.
Now get out there in all your skinny glory and seduce someone.