It’s time once again to gather ’round the bar at Dalts,
guzzle sip on Skinny Pirates and celebrate my 22nd annual birthday. While not much in a celebratory mood lately, time spent reflecting on birthdays past put some much needed pep in my step and I’m gonna be sure I abide by all of my memory rules this weekend!
Birthdays of yesteryear taught me some extremely important lessons that I need to keep in mind, as I prepare to celebrate another year of fabulous fun.
1) Always take a peek in a mirror before a photo is snapped, forever capturing the loveliness of you on your special day or you may end up with something like this….
Seriously. Stare in the mirror and give a rat’s ass or you’ll be gazing at your lovely self in something as beautiful as a crocheted vest for years to come.
2) Upon receiving presents, always act like you’ve just received the best.gift.ever. Even if you have no clue what it is or have no intention of ever wearing/using/displaying/eating/drinking.
3) Insist upon holding fingers up to commemorate which age you were celebrating when photos end up in albums.
Even if you’re not quite sure how old you are, own whatever you are saying which will demand more attention on you.
4) Cake matters. Choose your design wisely.
Then insist someone hand feed it to you.
5) Practice your ‘birthday face’ so you can look adorable in all photos.
6) Be sure to have a themed party. Even if it involves you looking like an ass clown.
7) Dance, jump and twirl to your heart’s content, acting as if you have one ounce of rhythm somewhere in your being.
8) Noisy favors are a must. Especially if party goers are under the age of six.
9) Always go with the celebratory flow.
Or at least let someone catch you when the flow gets to be too much for you to stand on your own.
10) Don’t ever turn away a birthday kiss, no matter how much you think it may hurt your face.
11) Even if you share the same birthday with a cousin (gentleman to my left in photo below with thrilled look on his face) be sure you try to be the star of the show anyhow.
12) Never, ever, ever, ever turn down a birthday shot. Ever.
Cheers to your birthdays of yesteryear – as well as a year full of the happiest of birthdays for all of us and those we hold dear!
This evening, I’ll be drinking to the wise words my Gma has told me every year, “having another birthday sure beats the alternative.”
Now let’s blow this birthday up!